2.14.2012

Doc Savage Book Covers
























So I came across these book covers for the Doc Savage series from the 1930s-1940s and thought they were worth a post.  First, I'll say I'm not well cultured when it comes to classic American adventure novels.  I'm 23, cut me some slack.  But after doing a little bit of reading up on the background of the Doc Savage books, it turns out he's not just a buff adventurous doctor with a massive widows peak.  

Doc Savage is the fictional character that was created by Heny Ralston, John Nanovic, and Lestor Dent for the Doc Savage magazines published by Street and Smith Publications.  The series went on for seventeen years, and these book covers were illustrated by American illustrator James Bama.  It seems like Doc Savage holds the collective identity of James Bond, Race Bannon, Bruce Wayne, Steve Irwin, Lewis & Clark, and House.  

I will now list off Clark Savage Jr.'s professions: physician, surgeon, scientist, adventurer, inventor, explorer, researcher, and musician.


1 comment:

Chuck Welch said...

You can find all the Bantam and Pulp covers at DocSavage.Org